Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 3

First true first day in the kitchen...yesterday we worked as a big group, today we worked with a partner (my partner is from Ireland) but mainly individually. I moved at a snails pace and barely finished in time for lunch. I was responsible for making a mushroom/thyme quiche and a mediterranean salad. At the very end of our cooking session which was from 9 to noon I realized my job responsibility of setting out the cheese board had not been accomplished yet. I ran to my teacher to find out how to do it. Her response was "you have to first make the cheese biscuits (crackers); I looked at her with what must have been a "deer in the headlights" look, she took pity on me and said she thought we had a enough left over from the previous day...and then she made up the board for me...whew! After preparing our dishes we are responsible for plating up as if we were in a restaurant and then we get marks for presentation and taste. We then combine all our individual dishes into serving dishes which are placed in the dining room for lunch. On any given day we are feeding 75 to 90 people for lunch with what we made that day! After lunch we had a demonstration by Rory O'Connell (Darina's brother). It was fantastic...we will be attempting the dishes demonstrated by Rory on Friday morning. Tomorrow is a lecture day.
Cheers!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment