Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Second Day

Sorry for the lack of information but today is the first day I've had access to a computer. One week today since I left on my adventure and it started out being one heck of an adventure with a volcano erupting in Iceland causing the airspace over the U.K. and Ireland to be closed. The airports are still closed as I type this. I was able to catch the last flight out of London before the airports closed. Went to Dublin instead of Cork (Cork airport was closed) but turned out great as I spent two unexpected days in a great city. Had two delicious dinners at The Pigs Ear and The Winding Staircase...if you're in Dublin you must try eating at both. I just finished my second day of classes and it is exhausting. I woke up at 5:00 am being nervous since we would be cooking. Yesterday was an orientation day but we did not finish until 6:00. The class is filled with really interesting people from 8 countries. Two other Americans had to cancel because they could not get in due to the closure of the airports. We start promptly at 9:00 am and we do not finish until 5:00 or 5:30. If we choose we can be involved in the gardening on Wednesday mornings which means arriving at school at 7:30 a.m. We have responsiblities everyday like setting the table for our lunch; washing dishes; serving; making lemonade, elderwater cordial(non alcoholic);and then cooking. We started today with the basic brown bread recipe. It is delicious but harder to make than you would think. We also made carrot soup with cilantro; mushroom a la creme over pasta, and the most beautiful and delicious green salad. All the greens were grown right here!!!!!! Hopefully pictures will be posted in the next few days. It has been truly amazing so far! I LOVE IT!
Cheers!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment